BGAMUG Application Review

I report on always free, always no-brand, always open source widgets for the Bowling Green Area Microcomputer User Group

Monday, January 08, 2007

The vendor showcase

Friday night, we went to the Top of the Riv, a beautiful view of North Las Vegas. It was a little sad seeing the Stardust all dark though. It closed in early November, and I found myself wondering why it's taking them so long to start on the demolition.

I saw a number of new vendors here tonight. Acoustica was here with its suite of recording and MP3 processing software. Applian weighed in with her Replay Music and other streaming capture utilities. They also have a great screen capture utility known as Screencast.

D-link was here representing the hardware wireless technology, and they also sponsored and set up the wireless internet in the lobby area. I couldn't get it to work, but I'm sure it was my wireless card set up, because others were happily typing away. Laplink, the computer information transfer people, had a nice display showing how to transfer old computer info to a new computer.

Migo Software
Migo creates an encrypted backup of your information (e-mail, address book, etc.) , allowing one to safely utilize public computers.

Of course, our old favorite, Smart Computing magazine was there, and we should all take advantage of the offers these folks provide.

Microsoft, Techsmith, Intervideo, TrendMicro and Grisoft had tables there as well. The food was great (provided by Corel, the WordPerfect people.

I just came back to edit this and realized I had not posted it. Sorry!

It looks like I'll be flying back tomorrow, as Cheryl's mom is in the hospital with some bad news.

Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home