BGAMUG Application Review

I report on always free, always no-brand, always open source widgets for the Bowling Green Area Microcomputer User Group

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Hike to Havana

Partly out of curiosity, and partly to offset flapjack calories, I took an extended stroll today, ended up down by the Sands Convention Center which is just south of the Wynn. Took and nice pic of the Wynn too, but damned if I still haven't picked up a usb cable for my camera. It's always something. Maybe they'll have one at the business office I can use for $45.

I went to the welcome tonight, counted roughly 110 in attendance. But then some of the newbies may not have been there because they had a separate orientation. Tonight there is an ice cream social at the Top of the Riv. Unfortunately I blew my ice cream budget on the A&W this afternoon. It's okay to spoil your appetite when you're on vacation.

On the way to the Sands, I happened upon one of the two cigar bars in Las Vegas. Rapidly becoming an oddity, the cigar bar is somewhat of a haven for folks like me, who exhausted his gambling budget and therefore can't effectively light up downstairs other than outside. I can smoke in my room if I don't mind being a hermit! Anyway, had a couple of glasses of a fine Chianti Classico called Via Firenze. It was delightful. The in-house rolled 'gars were an order of magnitude better than Don Pablo's across from the Stardust, and still moderately priced. The Havana Club had a real nice selection of California and French wines in stock too. The little mall this was in is just south of Sands Ave on Paradise Rd., and it had a number of great internationally themed little bistros around in the area.

I'm sitting here listening to the LVPD on my scanner, and have been counting the crimes they are pursuing that don't occur in Bowling Green. Up to seven so far. The last one was "Jaywalking for the purpose of prostitution." That's a new one on me anyway.

Time to go to the Riv, later!


Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home